Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Congressional Art Competition is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our Congressional District.
The Congressional Art Competition is open to all high school students in our District. The winning artwork of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will include the winning artwork from all participating districts from around the country. The winning artwork is also featured on House.gov's Congressional Art Competition page.
The following is a summary of the Congressional Art Competition rules. Please note the dimension requirements for 2020.
- Artwork does NOT need to be framed, but it must follow the criteria listed below:
- Artwork must be two dimensional
- Each artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep.
- No piece should weigh more than 15 pounds.
- Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Prints: lithographs, silk screen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Collages (must be two dimensional)
- Computer-generated art
Each entry must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted. Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
Please submit a photo of all eligible artwork to the following email: Asya.email@example.com by 5 pm on May 22, 2020.
Please complete the below student release form, print, and attach the form in your email submission
If you have any questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like more information on the annual Congressional District Art Competition, including this year's deadlines, please submit the following form.