The 2017 Artistic Discovery Contest is now closed.
Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our Congressional District.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in our District. The winning artwork of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will include the winning artwork from all participating districts from around the country. The winning artwork is also featured on House.gov's Congressional Art Competition page.
The following is a summary of the Congressional Art Competition rules. Please note that these are the new dimension requirements for 2017.
- All artwork must be framed according to the appropriate framing guidelines, listed below:
- Artwork must be two dimensional
- Each framed artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep, including the frame.
- No framed piece should weigh more than 15 pounds.
- Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Prints: lithographs, silk screen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Collages (must be two dimensional)
- Computer-generated art
All entries must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted. Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
If you would like more information on the annual Congressional District Art Competition, including this year's deadlines, please submit the following form.